With millions of options out there, just browsing through a website will give you plenty of options as far as toys are concerned. What I can do is to give you the toys that my kids really enjoyed and seemed to work well for most kids(based on friends’ feedback and amazon reviews)
This is in addition to the toys that come standard with bassinets, swings, gyms etc. and all the teethers that I have already recommended here. I have to say though – for a brand new person who has spent only a few months in the world, every mundane, commonplace item is a toy – so do not waste too much money on toys.
Here are some recommendations from my side – Top 10 toys for your 6 month old
- Bright Starts Lots of Links Accessory Toy – This is a cheap toy that seems to provide endless joy to young babies – encouraging the developmental skills of reaching, grasping, oral exploration, tactile exploration etc.
- The Fisher-Price Rattle and Rock Maracas Musical Toy and Bright Starts Grab and Spin Rattle are also very popular rattles that help the baby discover the concept of cause and effect.
- Baby Einstein Bendy Ball – Soft, flexible plastic make this ball both durable and fun and the Bendy Ball’s design makes it easy for little fingers to grasp and roll. The multi-colored rolling Rattle Ball inside adds additional sounds and visual stimulation to this toy.
- Lamaze Clip & Go Firefly Freddie – This bright colorful toy simulates the baby’s vision and auditory skills. Features peek-a-boo mirror, ladybug teether, squeaker, crinkly wings, jingle, and clacking rings – all of which guarantees hours of entrainment.
- Infantino Textured Multi Ball Set – This toy helps develop the baby’s tactile senses and can be given to the baby ideally around the six-month mark. Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball is another one recommended in this category.
- Bright Starts Grab and Stack Block Toy More Easy on little babies as the are soft and have no sharp edges. Once they are six months and older they can start playing with these –B. One Two Squeeze Blocks
- The First Years Stacking Up Cups
- Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Rock-a-Stack
- VTech Touch and Swipe Baby Phone
- Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy
Besides toys, I would also suggest that you introduce your child to books at this age as it helps develop a lifelong association with books. Here are my top recommendations
- VTech Rhyme and Discover Book – one of my kids all time favorites. It contains over 7 popular nursery rhymes and 4 movable pieces; over 20 different songs, phrases and sounds.
- First 100 Words – Essential first words and pictures with this bright board book
- Animals (Baby Touch and Feel)
- Touch and Feel: Farm (Touch & Feel)
- Noisy Farm (My First Touch and Feel Sound Book)
- Lamaze Peek-A-Boo Forest Soft Book
- Numbers Colors Shapes (First 100)