Pregnancy is no doubt a challenging though fulfilling phase in the lives of all mothers. But thank god we have so many things available today that can make it a little more easier than it used to be in the past. My list of must have pregnancy accessories is not long but here I lay out all items that you simply must have to make your life during pregnancy much more enjoyable.
- As the tummy expands, sleep is going to be the biggest issue for you and it is definitely worthwhile to make a few investments to safeguard your sleep. One of the most important ones that I made during this period was to invest in a body pillow. Here is a quick guide for you to choose what to buy.
- If you really don’t have the time to spend on understanding the pillow that makes sense for your situation and want one that works for the majority of pregnant women – then this is the one to choose –Leachko Snoogle Total Body Pillow – This is undoubtedly the most important accessory for every pregnant lady and can make a huge difference to your sleep quality once you take a few days to get adjusted to it. Just look at the number of reviews on amazon – people just seem to love this product. It was supposedly developed and designed by a registered nurse and mother and it designed to provide extra support for pregnant mother.
- Now if you have no preference for one side when you sleep and are likely to sleep on the side on both sides, then this is probably the one that I would choose – Comfort-U Shape Three-Piece Full Length Pillow (3 Piece). Some others may recommend the Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillowbut most of my friends who bought it were not satisfied with it as the seam at the top seemed to dig at their shoulders and cause discomfort. Having seen what they were talking about – I would only recommend the three piece version as it allows you to adjust to your comfort level.
- I even bought an extra one to keep on the other side or if I needed to raise my pillow a little bit.In my particular case I was heavily pregnant and my belly was enormous, so the leachko pillow did not work for me. Too bulky for me and in addition it took far too much space in the bed. I bought it and then discarded it. I did use it immediately after the pregnancy and liked it much better then. For me what worked better was the Boppy Pregnancy Wedge – a pregnancy wedge pillow. It served multiple purposes – the primary being to support my heavy bellow while I was sleeping one my sides. I preferred a rounded side wedge pillow as it would nicely fit around the contours of my belly. I bought an extra one to keep on the other side if I turned on that side or if I needed to raise my pillow a little bit.
- Foot Spa – Your feet are likely to feel the most stress due to the added weight and a little bit of pampering on a daily basis can go a long way. The Foot Spa was one of my favourite accessories after a long day at school.
- Compression stockings – On a similar vein, one of other important accessories for reducing my swelling was my compression stockings. Thank god I had no problems with varicose veins and I was able to settle for the normal(15-20mmHg compression range) stockings available on Amazon. If you have too much swelling and moderate to severe varicose veins then I suggest you visit the doctor who might prescribe the advanced( 20-30mmHg compression) socks. Choose any of these but I would suggest you stay away from full-length pantyhoses even though they might seem tempting.
- Extra Back Support while sitting on Chairs and Cars – I did spend a lot of time driving and sitting with my assignments and I needed all the back support I could get. That is why I made sure I got the Lumbar Back Support Cushion
- Acne Removal Kit – Acne Treatment – Blackheads and Pimples Remover Tools with Tweezers & Manicure Set By Marks Gouger This is one of the most useful things for pregnant women who are prone to acne.
- Yoga balls – Anti burst stability yoga balls. Be careful to choose anti burst yoga balls to prevent any kind of accidents. Avoid during the last stages of your pregnancy.
- Dreambaby Bump Belt, Black – Definitely suggested to keep the seat belt below you bump while riding in a car.
- Morning Sickness Relief – Thankfully I did not have morning sickness throughout my pregnancy but many of my friends had varying degrees of nausea each time they woke up.
Symptoms of morning sickness typically begin four to eight weeks after conception and begin to diminish as your first trimester comes to a close , although its not entirely uncommon to feel queasy throughout your entire pregnancy.
Here are some things that worked for them. Try all of them and see what could help you out.
- Preggie Pop drops – May not work for everybody but seemed definitely the first thing you should try.
- Carbohydrates like bread, soda crackers, mashed potatoes and dry toast have also been found to help combat nausea. Pair complex carbohydrates with protein, such as whole wheat pita and hummus or apple slices with string cheese to keep you from feeling exhausted throughout the day.
- Ginger is often used as a traditional remedy to settle the stomach and alleviate queasiness. Look for drinks made with real ginger or try grating fresh ginger into hot tea. Gingersnap cookies and ginger candies can also help. If you have a Traders Joes near you, their ginger chews seem to work wonders for a lot of people I know.
- Many women also find relief from acupressure wristbands like Sea-Bands, which are sold at most drugstores.
- Candy – Sour candies (jolly rancher or lemon head ) or peppermints seem to work for a lot of people.
- Earth Mama Angel Baby’s Organic Morning Wellness Tea is also popular remedy because the ginger and mint help settle your stomach. It’s naturally caffeine-free too, so you can pour a cup whenever the queasiness starts! $6,EarthMamaAngelBaby.com
Did I miss anything. Do let me know if there are any pregnancy accessories that have made a tremendous difference in your lives during pregnancy. I will be sure to check it out and add them to this list if it meets my criteria.