I have added these in a separate section because I am considering these hygiene products as opposed to cosmetics. It may be surprising to realize that the products we use to keep ourselves clean and smelling good may in turn be injecting us with dangerous substances.
So you don’t want to give up your favorite deodorant which gives you your signature fresh smell. See the list of ingredients below and maybe you will change your mind.
- Parabenes – These have been linked to birth defects.
- PEG 20
- Propylene Glycol
- Triclosan – carcinogen
- Sodium Benzoate
- Aluminum compounds which prevent sweating – carcinogens
- Synthetic Fragrances
My recommendation is to avoid these chemicals and choose one of these instead.
- Green Tidings All Natural – Non-toxic, Organic, Vegan, Gluten-free, Corn-free, Soy-free, Paraben-free, SLS-free, Aluminum-free, Propylene-glycol free, Fragrance-Free, Petroleum and Petrolatum-free, Pthalate-free, Paraffin-free, Mineral Oil-free, no artificial colors, No Silicone Oil, No Menthol, Phenol, or Salicylic Acid, Certified Cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny, & made in a solar powered facility.
- Primal Pit Paste – made from organic and natural ingredients with NO
aluminum, NO parabens, NO toxic chemicals & NO GMOs’
- Tom’s of Maine – Made with tea tree oil, long known for its germ-fighting properties this is Aluminum-free, clinically proven 24 hour odor protection, No artificial fragrances, preservatives or animal ingredients
Sometimes the body reacts on its own and these chemical laden perfumes start feeling intolerable -resulting in headaches, dizziness and nausea, as your heightened sense of smell starts acting up. But there might be times when even the body is fooled. So I suggest that you do the due diligence.
- The most dangerous chemical found in perfumes are a class of chemicals called pthalates, which help the fragrance to last longer. Avoid using your regular perfumes at the very least during the first trimester.
- Opt for a lightly scented body spray or lotion instead of perfume.
- If you need the smell, opt for essential oils, especially citrus smells – mandarin, neroli and sweet orange, that are stated to be mood lifters.
- Other softer scents you may want to try are lavender, rose and chamomile.
- Peppermint, ginger and cardamom are great options which can help combat nausea.
I am not making any recommendations here as I singularly avoided any kinds of perfumes. Please follow some of the suggestions above for natural solutions.
SOAPS, BODYWASH, FACE WASH AND SCRUBS
These are ingredients in soaps and body washes to avoid: triclosan, parabens, fragrance and rosemary. Triclosan creates a carcinogen as a by-product. Parabens can affect hormone levels. Fragrance and rosemary could irritate your skin. Most of the chemical laden soaps and body washes are not good for you and you could opt for chemical free soap bars that are available in Whole Foods etc. But there are a few recommendations here as well that most parents would find useful.
- Best Face Wash – Belli Anti-Blemish Facial Wash- 6.5 oz. They are free from parabens, dyes and pthalates and are made from natural ingredients like green tea, chamomile, lavender and cucumber. Their pregnancy acne products feature sulfur and tea tree oil to help fight blemishes, and any other acne treatments should be avoided.
- Best Soap – Drunk Elephant Pekee Bar Clarifies, balances, and moisturizes while rinsing away pore-clogging surface debris, impurities, and excess oil.
- Best Acne Removal Solution – Mario Badescu Drying Lotion doesn’t use salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, instead relying on sulfur as the main ingredient.
- Best Scrub – Belli Fresh Start Pre-Treatment Scrub- 6.5 oz gently exfoliates skin on the face and body.
- Best Body Wash – Puracy 100% Natural Body Wash and Belli Pure & Pampered Body Wash
Ingredients to Avoid – Parabens (such as sodium methylparaben, methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben) are used to increase shelf life but can be hormone disruptors. Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate), and sodium lauryl sulfate are to be avoided as they have been linked to birth defects. Lastly phthalates should be avoided as they are known endocrine disrupters and they are usually found in synthetic fragrances. Rosemary is also to be avoided.
Ingredients to Look for – Ingredients to look for are shea butter coconut oil, jojoba oil and avocado oil.
- Nine Naturals Citrus Mint Nourishing Shampoo – Citrus Mint
- John Master Organics Bare Shampoo for All Hair Types, 8 Fluid Ounce
- John Master Organics Bare Detangler, 8 Fluid Ounce and John Masters Organics Lavender & Avocado Intensive Conditioner
- Nine Naturals Citrus Mint Nourishing Conditioner – Citrus Mint