At some point between 3-12 months babies will start growing their first teeth. The lower front teeth usually comes in first followed by the upper front teeth in 1 to 2 months. Each time the eruption of teeth happens, it is accompanied by swollen gums and pain for the baby.
You can help soothe the fussing baby by
- massaging the gums with a clean finger
- providing safe objects for the baby to chew on
- providing an over the counter pain relief medication
Since I will not be recommending any medicines I will try and provide you a list of the best teethers for babies that he or she can chew on to relieve some of the pain.
Best Teethers in the Market
- Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether – Over 5000 reviews with an average of 4.4, this amazing teether seems to work for most babies. I guess it could be the different parts of the giraffe that are available to chew that works or it could be soft gentle smell of natural rubber – not sure but one of our top favorites.
- Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle and Sensory Teether Activity Toy – very good for babies as it has small loops that can be easily gripped and bitten. Once the baby grows a little she may not find this one as appealing.
- Nuby Icybite Hard/Soft Teething Keys – Key shaped teether that can be cooled in the refrigerator – the non-toxic purIce gel provides relief to sore gums.
Baby Banana Infant Teething Toothbrush – Definitely a great teether that makes learning to brush a fun experience. It is made out of the highest quality of silicone, making it flexible and decreasing the risk of mouth injury.
- Innobaby Teethin’ Smart Ez Grip Massaging Teether, Citrus or Innobaby EZ Grip Massaging Fruit Teether Set if you want the whole set.
- Comotomo Silicone Baby Teether, Orange
I don’t recommend the Baltic Amber Teething Necklace For Babies which are supposed to trigger the release of succinic acid in the body which relieves swollen gums. The jury is out on the efficacy of amber – but i can definitely assure you that these necklaces pose choking hazard and strangulation hazard.