Around the same time as you start the baby on solid food is when you need a high chair. This usually corresponds to the time when he/she can sit up on her own. Let us take a look at the best high chair for babies.
So lets get to the point – what do you need to consider while buying a high chair.
- There are many different kinds of high chairs but you could boil it down to three main ones – stand alone, space saver(that sits on a chair) and travel high chairs. Which one you choose depends on your constraints of space and money(space savers are cheaper).
- Additional cushioning makes it more comfortable for the baby, but makes it more difficult to clean. Usually the comfort factor is not as important as ergonomic position but buying something that is difficult to clean could become a major pain.
- Even if your high chair has cushions – make sure it is made of vinyl that can be easily wiped away and also is removable for easy machine wash.
- Make sure that the chair is JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturing Association) certified, this will give you additional assurance with regards to its safety.
- 5 point harness gives you additional peace of mind with small babies, but a 3 point harness was usually sufficient once the baby grew up a bit. I would go with 5 point if you are starting the baby earlier on solids.
- Look for chairs that have a Center Crotch/Safety Post – a neat little bar that stands between baby’s legs and keeps them from slipping out under the tray. Very important in my opinion.
- There are some foldable varieties that I will include in the space saver category. This is a good option for those who want a full size high chair but one which can be kept folded inside when not in use.
- Look for high chairs that come with a tray, or else a high chair that is height adjustable so that it can be aligned with the dining table.
- If you frequently change the location where you feed the baby look for wheels.
So now lets get to the meat of it.
Best Recommended Full Size High Chair
- Boon Flair ~ $229 – A beautiful modern high chair, which is essentially a single cast piece on a pedestal.
- Easy to clean.
- Glides smoothly and has foot brake.
- Uses a Pneumatic lift to raise or lower the seat
- Does not allow crumbs to gather – can be easily wiped down.
- 5 point harness and safety post.
- No reclining positions
Another good choice in this category, this usually goes with Peg Perego Booster Cushion, White
- Extremely High Quality
- Five reclining seat positions
- Nine different height positions
- Foldable for easy storage
- Caster wheels automatically lock for safety
- Easy to Clean
- Multiple recline positions that can be adjusted as the baby grows
- Best for urban living spaces
- Tray is difficult to take off
- Very difficult to move around
This is a very useful grow with baby system that has multiple uses- regular high chair, infant booster, toddler booster and child seat.
- 4-in-1 seating system and convertible high chair adjusts to your growing child’s seating needs
- Can be used to seat two children simultaneously
- 6 height positions and 3 recline levels allow the feeding chair to adjust for easy feedings
- Has wheels that allow easy movement
- Has a big tray
- Top tray not dishwasher friendly
- Cannot be folded away
- Safety bar is attached to the tray as opposed to the seat – which means you have to be extra careful.
- Parents complain about the wheels and how it can scratch your floor
- Very easy to wipe clean
- One hand removable tray and harness
- 8 height positions
- Folds for easy storage
- Snack Tray design receives lot of complaints
- Leg separator built into the tray which is not ideal
- Cover is plush which is not ideal
This is a cheaper version of the Graco Blossom style high chair and is one the best seller son Amazon.
- 3 modes of use: full-size high chair, toddler chair, and booster seat “grow with me” design seat 2 children at once
- Removable infant bolster provides extra support 3 position seat recline in full size high chair and booster modes removable tray has 4 locking positions to grow with baby and can be adjusted with one hand
- Tray and tray insert is dishwasher safe built-in cup holders for holding drinks or snack
- 5 point safety harness for full size and booster mode, 3 point safety harness for restaurant style mod
- Seat pad is wipeable and machine washable
Customers complain of lower quality
Evenflo Convertible High Chair, Dottie Lime – Versatile and cheap high chair which can be used also as a baby seat for baby to sit with feet on the floor.
- Good value for money
- Multiple uses
- Easy to clean
- Not the best construction
- Non adjustable tray
Best Space Saver Options For less than $50 there are a variety of space saver options that you could use,
- Fisher-Price Deluxe Booster Seat, Brown/Tan
- Fisher-Price SpaceSaver High Chair, Rainforest Friends
- Fisher-Price Spacesaver High Chair, Stripes
Best Travel Options