I don’t recall using the thermometer much during the second year or the third but during the first year this is an invaluable tool to gauge the health of the baby – especially when he or she is sick. Babies are unable to voice their anguish and the responsibility lies with the parents to look for cues and do the needful. For this reason the thermometer is one of the most important investments during this crucial period.
Here are some basic things to consider
- The various types of thermometers based on the location where temperature is gauged
- Forehead using Infra red rays
- Ear canal
- Oral – to be placed under the tongue
- Pacifier thermometer
- For babies upto 3 months I recommend rectal thermometers – even though the thought of using them may gross your out the first few times. They also work for underarm and orally(once they are 4 years old), but the accuracy is likely to be better when used in the rectum.
- For babies over 3 months, the forehead thermometer is a much better option than poking the tip into the rectum.
- Once kids are a year old the ear thermometers can be used to double check on the forehead reading.
- Use the underarms only if the rectum is inaccessible due to diarrhoea or if you don’t have a forehead thermometer. This is because the underarm temperature is likely to be lesser than the real temperature and may give you a false sense of security.
Here are my recommendations for rectal thermometers which can also be used underarm. My recommendation – use it underarm first and add a couple of degrees to get a rough idea. If this seems on the higher side – do the rectal check.
- Good – Safety 1st Gentle Read Rectal Thermometer is the cheapest option that works. Use the Safety 1st 30 Pack Thermometer Disposable Covers along with it.
2. Better – Generation Guard Clinical Digital Thermometer Best to Read & Monitor Fever TemperatureThis is the best seller in rectal thermometers and is definitely a dependable choice. Very accurate and comes is a convenient case. The best part is that if the child has fever – it will give a different sound to alert you. Comes with a 30 day guarantee – so you can return it for full refund if you don’t like it.
3. Best – ErgaLogik FDA Approved Digital Baby Thermometer for Oral, Rectal & Underarm I really like the soft and bendable tip. This is very well reviewed on Amazon and claims to be accurate to 0.2F.
Best Forehead Thermometer and Ear Thermometer
- Best(Ear & Forehead) – Innovo Forehead and Ear Thermometer (Dual Mode) *CE and FDA approved is the only one you need for forehead as well as ear.
- Ear Only – Braun Ear Thermometer is a good option focused for ear thermometer.
- Forehead only Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer is the a good option for checking temperatures using temporal artery in the forehead.