My kids stayed in the crib late into the third year but some kids need to transition to a twin bed or a toddler or a full size bed. This transition for a closed cage to an open one is not easy and many kids will fall out of the bed or the open side of the crib, unless a barrier is installed. This essentially is the purpose of bed rails.
Things to consider
- Sturdy and firm. There should be no gaps between the mattress and the bed rail.
- Swing Down works best for mattresses on box springs and Fixed works best for mattresses on any kind of platforms. Swing down rails can be brought down during daytime for easy access. Fixed rails do not fold down and kids need to squeeze out around it.
- Make sure a large portion of the rail slips under the mattress to prevent it from falling down. A top of the mattress attachment provides added protection for smaller babies.
- Look for regular or extra long ones depending on squirmy the toddler is at night. One of my sons would sleep in all kinds of positions and we had to make sure there was not more than a few inches gap.
Top Choices for Box Spring beds
- Much more convenient to make beds as you can simply pull the rail down when it is not in use.
- Regalo swings also have the Gap Guard which is an over the mattress attachment that will attach to the mattress at the top, thereby leaving no gaps.
- JPM Certified for safety, quality and performance.
- Can be wiped down or washed.
- Not as firm as the fixed rails
Top Choice for Platform Beds( Without Box springs)
- KidCo Children’s Bed Rail – White Mesh is a fixed bed rail which is the best choice for platform beds. Easy to install and can be used in pairs.
- Ugly black warning text takes up nearly 30% of the outward facing fabric
- Not good for platform beds with lip
- Do not used with ikea beds
Top Choice for Convertible bed
- KidCo Convertible Crib Bed Rail
and the dexbaby Safe Sleeper Convertible Crib Bed Rail, White are great options.
Best Portable Bed Rail
- Toddler Bed Rail by The Shrunks | Inflatable Safety Bed Rails for Toddlers for Travel or Home Use is a great option for travellers, it needs to be inflated and placed under fitted sheets