While people without kids might think that babies sleep soundly, this is not if fact true. Most babies are light sleepers and can wake up with the slightest noise. Once they realize this the parents will then focus on maintaining complete silence. They will observe that babies wake up intermittently in spite of these efforts. What I would recommend instead is a baby sound machine. Though you may be hard pressed to find any scientific evidence to support the use of sound machines, I can only recommend based on anecdotal evidence from countless parents who have benefited.
Some things to note
- Immediately after birth babies miss the fuzzy static that was ever present when they were in the womb. There are white noise machines that mimic this sound. But some babies seem to outgrow this sound after a few months and may not be pacified by this particular sound. There are other sounds available which may soothe babies
- Heartbeat- A beating Wub-Dub sound
- Nursery melody – An instrumental melody
- Animal sounds – Birds, whales etc.
- Ambient nature sounds- Waves, waterfalls, et
- You don’t have to buy a baby sound machine to get these sounds – there are many apps available and so if you have an old iphone or ipod touch you could download these apps and put on the sound that works for you.
- There are fans and radios etc. that could be used to generate white noise and may work for you.
- Look for battery operated ones or USB operated ones if you need something portable.
WHITE NOISE MACHINES:
Marpac Natural White Noise (actual fan inside) Sound Machine is my top recommendation. I bought two Marpacs for my twins and these did help calm our babies and muffle some of the ambient noise that could otherwise wake them up. I would choose the one with two settings where the sound level can be adjusted according to your need. Let me remind you that this will play continuously till you stop it. There is a similar white noise only machine that creates a shushing sound – Baby Shusher – The Soothing Sleep Miracle for Babies
If you are looking for a variety of sounds then this is the one you would prefer – Graco Sweet Slumber Sound Machine, White
HOT NEW RELEASES
White Noise Machine – I have been hearing good reviews about the LectroFan Jr. – White Noise Machine with 6 Fan and 6 White Noise Options which is available in pink, blue, white and black. It has around 12 variations of white noise and 18 lullabies -so you are more likely to find a level which works for you.
Portable Machine – Marpac has released its portable version – Marpac Hushh for Baby, Portable White Noise Sound Machine and it is already a big hit. I would recommend based on what I have seen.